Optimizing the efficiency of protein in rations
- Protein is the most expensive ingredient in rations fed to dairy cows. It accounts for 42% of feed costs.
- However, mo...
A Home-Style Protein Diet for Quebec’s Cows
- To ensure their economic, environmental and social sustainability, dairy farms in Quebec must reduce their environmental footp...
- The milk feeding phase can affect growth and production parameters in heifers.
- Little information exists on the impac...
Alternatives to Timothy in Fodder
- Due to climate change, fodder production in the province of Quebec must be adapted.
- Timothy grass is a plant that gro...
Improving the Comfort and Longevity of Cows
- Dairy farmers face the challenge of providing consumers with high-quality products that meet societal expectations for environ...
Evaluating the Heifers’ Management
We have developed a farming practices assessment tool that targets ten key elements of calf and heifer management. The elements chosen ...
Short Dry Period
This project was developed in order to verify whether the current recommendation of drying cows for 60 days is still suitable for today...
Evaluating Forage Costs and Management
Several studies have demonstrated the economic benefits of having ideal fodder on dairy farms. However, the methods to efficiently prod...
Forage Quality: Increase Sugars
Fodder that is rich in rapidly fermentable energy helps increase the efficiency of nitrogen utilization by ruminants and reduces the am...
Improve the Comfort of the Stalls of Dairy Cows
In Quebec, less than 40% of cows reach their third lactation. While more than 90% of dairy herds live in stall housing, little is yet k...